MESSAGE COMMUNITY COUNCIL HISTORY PROJECTS ENTERPRISES ANNOUNCEMENTS GENERAL CONTACT US
 
History


Prodromos is a village in the province of Limassol found in the geographic region of Southern Marathasa, at a distance of 60 kilometers northwesterly from the city of Limassol.

It is built at an altitude of 1.380 meters from the average sea level and is the only village of Cyprus having such a high altitude.

It accepts a very high average annual rainfall that reaches 922 millimeters. In its region they are cultivated various species of deciduous fruit trees (apple trees, cherry trees, plum trees, pear-trees and peach trees). The village of Prodromos is particularly famous for the exceptional quality of its apples. However the bigger extent of the village is uncultivated. Part of the government owned forest of Troodos raises in its administrative limits. The bigger water sources not only for Prodromos but also for the entire mountain range of Troodos, are the group sources of Chartzi. Due to works at the “Chromium” mine, almost all groundwater at the region of Prodromos  has changed direction.Up to 1962 the deciduous fruit trees of the village, that their extent was about 24 hectares, were irrigated exclusively by the sources of Chartzi and other smaller sources. However the continuous increasing needs for the irrigation of the new plantations of fruit trees as well as the utilization of the sources Chartzi for the water supply and irrigation of the village, imposed the manufacture in 1962 of the dam of Prodromos having a capacity of 110.000 cubic meters. The dam is found near the main street of Prodromos-Troodos, in the locality "Damaskinari" and from this dam, 23 hectares, that are cultivated with deciduous fruit trees, are irrigated.

The road connection of Prodromos with the around villages is done with helical streets, due to the mountainous bas-relief of the region. In the northern side is connected with the village of Pedoulas (about 3 Km), in the north-western side with the monastery of Virgin Mary at Kykkos (about 22 Km), in the western side with the village of Lemythou (about 2,5 Km), in the south-eastern side with the village of Pano Platres (about 2 Km) and in the south-western side with the village of Paliomylos (about 1.5 Km). From the square of Troodos there is a distance of 8 kilometers to reach Prodromos and from the city of Nicosia a distance of 85 kilometers.

The village had a continuous demographic increase from 1881 up to 1946. In 1881 its residents were 200 and were increased to 240 in 1891, to 282 in 1901, to 317 in 1911, to 331 in 1921, to 436 in 1931 and to 506 in 1946. In 1960 the residents were decreased to 484 and to 416 in 1973. After the Turkish invasion in 1974 enough Greekcypriots refugees were installed at the village of Prodromos and they increased for a small time interval its population, without however staying in the village after 1976. Thus in 1976 the population of the village was increased to 505 residents, that however were decreased to 318 in 1982. In the last inventory of 2001 the residents of the village were 147.
The village of Prodromos is characterized by cold and rainy winter and cool and dry summer. During the winter months, apart from the very high rainfall, it accepts also enough snow. The snow, that its height often exceeds one meter, covers the ground for some weeks and there is too much cold with temperatures that at some cases are below 0oC. In 1973 and in 1974 it was recorded the extreme lower temperature of – 8 oC. Contrary to winter, during summertime at the village of Prodromos is very cool with hotter months being July and August. The average daily higher temperature in July is 27 oC and the average daily lower is 17 oC.

Apple tree Cherry
Peach Plum
Almond Chestnut

The beautiful green landscape of the village, its cool healthy climate and its serene environment, attract many Cypriots that rent houses at the village during the summer months. On Sundays during summertime, Prodromos constitutes a turning point for rest and recreation for many excursionists that visit the region of Troodos and the monastery of Virgin Mary at Kykkos and Panagia Trikoukia.Moreover the picnic area of Prodromos dam having capacity of 250 individuals, constitutes a pole of attraction for many Cypriot excursionists. A second picnic area is found in the main street of Platres– Prodromos, 3 km away from the village and it is called "Kambi of Kalogiros" having a capacity of 500 individuals.

Prodromos is constituted by two settlements, the one being Kato Prodromos where the initial core of the village is found and the other being Pano Prodromos that was developed so much over the length of the main road artery of Prodromos-Platres in the graphic sides of the mountain in the south-western side of Troodos.

Troodos Forest

The village of Prodromos had a big tourist growth because of its amazing climate and also due to the existence of hotel Verengaria and three other smaller hotels. Important personalities have passed from the hotel Verengaria, from countries of Europe and Middle East, such as the king of Egypt Farouk and the chairman of Israel Ezer Vaisman.

Today there are enough auspicious prospects for the tourist growth of Prodromos, because of the imminent re-operation of hotel Verengaria and the unique natural beauties of the village.
The village existed during the medieval years, with the same name and is found marked in old maps as Prodromo. It constituted a fief that rather depended in the one of the two Marathases, that constituted a royal property (at the period of Franks, Marathasa was separated into two big departments from which the one was a royal property and the other was property of earl Edessa.
The name of the village is connected with Agios Ioannis Prodromos and the rebuilt church is dedicated to him. Also, near the village at the southeastern side, it existed an old known monastery called "Trikoukkia" and it was dedicated to Virgin Mary. Today the monastery is operated again by nuns that live there. Many important persons of the church had their origin at Prodromos such as the archbishops of Cyprus, Makarios A', Makarios B', Cyrillos B' and Sofronios. In the northern  part of the village it is found the Forestall College of Cyprus, where they study sylviculture not only the Cypriot employees of the forest department but also people from around the world.

Hardjis’ Springs

During the period of the Ottoman domination and years before that, during the franks domination etc., one work that had been assigned to the residents of Prodromos was the concentration of snow in special cavities and its maintenance, so that it was dispatched to the capital city of Nicosia and in other places of the island during the summer months. This fact is recorded also by the Russian monk Vasili Mparsky that visited the village and also the monastery of Trikoukkia in 1735.